Get your greens on!
To balance an otherwise heavy and hearty meal, I like to plate some greens.
What better a recipe than one that includes brussels sprouts and pomegranate seeds?
Roasted or sautéed “mini cabbages”—as I like to call them—are everywhere as of late. To put a unique spin on things, however, I’m roasting mine by the leaf. Doing so makes for a much crispier texture!
Because this salad is super easy to make, I recommend saving it for last on the Thanksgiving meal to-do list.
If you do end up making some of the Bosworth family recipes, please share your creations with me and my family (I’m back in Laguna for the holiday!) using the hashtag #LoCooks . If you’ve enjoyed this series, please let me know if you’d like something similar for Christmas!
2. 2 tablespoons olive oil
3. 1 cup pomegranate seeds
4.¼ cup pine nuts
5. 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
6. 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
7. 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
8. ½ tablespoon tahini
9. ½ tablespoon pure maple syrup
10. ¼ teaspoon sea salt
11. Black pepper, to taste
2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. One at a time, trim the brussel sprouts and separate the leaves. You will need to trim the base of the sprout a few times to get as many leaves as possible from each. Add the leaves to the baking pans and repeat with each sprout.
4. Once all of the leaves have been added to the pans, drizzle each pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil and massage the oil into the leaves. Spread the leaves out evenly over each pan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until most of the leaves are crispy and just turning golden. Make sure to toss the leaves every few minutes as they bake to prevent burning. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
5. While the leaves are baking, make the vinaigrette by adding the lime juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, tahini, maple syrup, salt, and pepper to a small bowl. Whisk for 15-30 seconds until incorporated.
6. To serve the salad, add the leaves to a serving bowl or tray along with the pomegranate seeds and pine nuts. Pour the dressing over, toss to coat, and serve immediately.
Serves: 5 people