- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 whole chicken, broken down into bones, breasts and legs (with skin removed)
- 1 onion (half cut into 1 inch pieces for stock, and the other half cut into smaller pieces for the soup)
- 4 carrots, (2 carrots cut into 1 inch pieces for stock, and the other 2 cut into smaller pieces for the soup)
- 3 celery stalks (2 cut into 1 inch pieces for stock, and the other 3 cut into smaller pieces for the soup)
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 handful of parsley stems
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, whole
- 10 cups water for stock
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper for soup
- cup white rice
- Using a sharp carving knife, break down whole chicken into breasts and legs, and bones. Use the backbone and wings as bones for stock. Remove skin from breast and legs and put those into the fridge.
- Chop up all your veggies, setting aside the appropriate amounts for stock and soup.
- In a large pan, melt ghee over medium high heat. Add your chicken bones and brown until there are lots of brown bits in the bottom of your pan. Remove bones from pan and save to the side. Add your onions, carrots, and celery and brown.
- Deglaze your veggies with white wine. Allow to boil for a minute or so while stirring, and add the chicken bones back in. Add about 10 cups of water (or enough water to completely cover the chicken), 3 bay leaves, a handful of cleaned parsley stems, and black peppercorns. Bring up to a boil and cook for 1.5-2 hours, or until it tastes delicious.
- Once your stock is done, remove the bones using tongs and dispose into the trash. Using a fine mesh colander, drain the stock into a bowl to remove the vegetables, peppercorns, etc. Use a spoon to press down on the vegetables to remove as much stock from them as possible.
- Pour your cleaned stock back into your pan. Add your chicken breasts and legs, fresh/raw onions, carrots, celery, and additional bay leaves and parsley, along with ground black pepper. Simmer for about 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare your rice. Combine 2 cups dry white rice with 3 cups water and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid, reduce to low, and cook for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes before fluffing.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove from the soup and shred on a cutting board using two forks. Return the chicken to the soup and serve over rice in a warm bowl.