Hi, everyone. I’m Eliza and I used to be a self-proclaimed dairy addict. In fact, I always took my coffee, extra light, with cream. Whenever I could, I would season my meals with an overabundance of cheese. And, truth be told, I had this special bond with full-fat dairy yogurt. But, one day, I decided to leave that life behind in pursuit of a dairy-free diet. This is my story.
So we’re welcoming wellness into our lives over here at TheLoDown (in fact, the entire focus of the site is changing to focus on health) and with that comes a delicious, easy, and quick weekday lunch recipe that I literally made in 15 minutes.
I’m a huge fan of a tomato stew, especially with white beans, and some kind of protein. Typically I like to roast a dish like this (imagine a whole chicken cut in half, browning nicely with delicious tomatoes and things all around slowly soaking up flavor) but I wanted to see just how quickly I could mimic one of my faves with the ingredients I had on hand.
Here’s what you need: a protein (I chose thin chicken breasts for speedy cooking), crushed tomatoes, fresh basil and thyme, a bit of onion or shallot, and some beans. Oh, and a little S&P (salt and PEPPA), obvs.
Brown up your shallots, brown up your chicken quickly, add the rest of the stuff and simmer for 15 minutes. That’s it. Delicious, gluten-free, dairy-free, and QUICK.
Here’s the full recipe:
15 Minute Chicken, Tomato, and White Bean Stew
1. 1 Shallot, sliced in thin rounds
2. 1 tablespoon ghee
3. 2 thinly sliced chicken breasts
4. Salt and Pepper to season
5. 1 can crushed tomatoes
6. 1/2 can white beans
7. 10-12 fresh basil leaves
8. 10 sprigs of thyme leaves
9. 4-5 cherry tomatoes
1. In a medium sauce pan heat ghee and quickly brown shallots.
2. In the same pan add your seasoned chicken breasts and brown on both sides quickly at a high heat.
3. Lower heat and add crushed tomatoes, white beans, cherry tomatoes, basil leaves, thyme leaves, salt and pepper.
4. Let simmer (don’t boil) for 15 minutes. Then enjoy!