I love chips. Any kind of chip. Put it in front of me and I will eat it. For the Big Game this year I'm making a homemade variety of baked vegetable chips because 1) they are delicious and 2) it means I can eat some junk food too because these are so low calorie.
A vegetable chip can come in many varieties: beet, sweet potato, potato, zucchini, you name it. I like baking up sweet potatoes and beets personally, because they don't require breading and the delicious cucumber and dill dip I made to go with them makes them extra tasty. These are certainly a crowd-pleaser, and if you're like me and you like to cook, any excuse to use a mandolin is like, super fun.
When you're baking veggie chips the point is to essentially dry them out in the oven while adding flavor, so a low heat (250F) along with some spices and just a touch of olive oil will get the job done. I can't wait to bring these to my pal's Super Bowl party this weekend!
It will take you about 90 minutes from start to finish to get this snack going, and you can make them the day before so hit the store and get cooking with me.
Baked Vegetable Chips
- sweet potato
- beets (any variety)
- olive oil
- salt, pepper
- garlic salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 250F. Wash and peel your vegetables of choice. Set your mandolin to a thin setting (you want the chips to get nice a crunchy) and slice away.
- On parchment paper on a baking sheet, lay out your chips so they don't overlap each other. Season, get a bit of olive oil on them (I like using a squeeze bottle for this) and get into your oven. Cook for about 50 minutes until they're crunchy.
- Flip them at about 30 minutes, and then again right before they are done. Let cool and enjoy!
Cucumber and Dill Yogurt Sauce
- 2ish cups of whole greek yogurt
- 1/2 to 3/4 cucumber, peeled
- 1 lemon, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves
- handful of fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender or Vitamix combine your cucumber, lemon, garlic cloves, dill, salt, and pepper until sorta smooth.
- In a bowl, fold your veggie mixture into your greek yogurt. Taste for seasoning and adjust. Enjoy with your chips or any other snack.