Just because the weather currently forecasts "freezing rain" for the next 38 days doesn't mean that you can't eat like it's spring time! I just moved into a new apartment this weekend and my fridge is stocked after wandering the aisles at Whole Foods for 2 hours yesterday morning. For lunch today I wanted something very healthy, easy to make, but totally unique. After taking stock of what I had in the fridge I decided to sear up some fresh shrimp, combine them with baby kale and barley, create a spicy and sweet homemade salad dressing and top it off with a dollop of creme fraiche.
The salad dressing, a Fig and Ginger Vinaigrette with a touch of Sambal, is really the star here. I love combining sweet and spicy flavor, especially with shrimp. The touch of creme fraiche on top makes this salad a decadent and healthy winner on a cold, cold day.
Barley Salad with Fig and Ginger Shrimp
[tabgroup layout="horizontal"] [tab title="Ingredients"]1. 1 Cup uncooked barley
2. 3 cups water
3. 1/4 cup apple cider vineger
4. 3/4 cup olive oil (or flaxseed oil)
5. 1/2 cup fig and ginger jam
6. 1 tablespoon Sambal
7. 1 cup baby kale
8. 8 shrimp
9. Coconut Oil
10. Salt and Pepper to taste
11. 1 Tablespoon flax seeds[/tab] [tab title="Procedure"]1. Cook barley for an hour (or until soft) by bringing 1 cup barley and 3 cups water to a boil, reduce heat, cover.
2. In a blender combine vinegar, olive oil, jam, and sambal with some salt and pepper. This makes a lot of dressing (yay) so store the rest in your fridge for your next salad. Blend to taste - it should be sweet with a spicy aftertaste.
3. In a medium frying pan, melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Quickly cook shrimp on a high temperature on one side. Flip shrimp when one side becomes light orange and brown, turn heat off of pan and finish cooking shrimp for another minute or so.
4. In a bowl combine shrimp, barley (let it cool a bit), baby kale and toss with a bit of dressing. Top with creme fraiche and flax seeds.
5. Enjoy![/tab] [tab title="Notes"]Serves: 2
Time: 75 minutes[/tab] [/tabgroup]