[infobox subtitle="All Day, 'Err Day" bg="gray" color="black" opacity="off" space="30" link="no link"]Breakfast[/infobox] This week on The Alternative, breakfast is back! And this delightful and healthy meal doesn't even require any cooking time when you wake up in the morning. What is this complete meal I speak of? It's overnight oats, and in addition to being delicious they're also gluten-free and dairy-free!
Nothing is easier than overnight oats...just grab some gluten-free oats at the store, pair with your favorite non-dairy nut milk, add some fruit and spices and you'll be good to go. The magic happens when you just let them...sit. The oats pull in the moisture overnight and are perfect to eat the next morning. I like to add chia seeds to this not only for a nutritional boost but also because they become slightly sticky and gelatinous when liquid is added, acting as a binder to the oatmeal.
You can add any fruit and spices or seasoning as you want...it's your oatmeal after all! In this particular recipe I've added chopped dates, apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, honey, and hazelnut extract. They're kind of unbeatable. Lets get to the recipe.
[tabgroup layout="horizontal"] [tab title="Ingredients"]1. 1 cup gluten-free oats
2. 1 cup (or a bit more) almond milk
3. 2 Tablespoons honey
4. 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
5. Pinch of salt
6. 2 teaspoons cinnamon
7. 1 teaspoon nutmeg
8. Apples and Dates, sliced into small pieces
9. Splash of hazelnut extract
[/tab] [tab title="Procedure"]1. Mix oats with almond milk, stirring well.
2. Add chia seeds, honey, spices, fruit, and hazelnut extract, stirring well.
3. Place oats mixture into an airtight container and let sit in the fridge overnight.
4. Enjoy the next morning and for 2-3 days afteward./tab] [tab title="Notes"]1. Serves: 2
2. Difficulty: Easy
3. Time: 10 minutes[/tab] [/tabgroup]