Summer is officially in the air and I couldn't be more excited. I'm spending a lot of my summer at my beach house, and I’m entertaining friends and family almost every weekend. A few days ago my friends came to the beach to spend the evening with me, and I decided to mix up some Moscow Mules for us to enjoy – they were a huge hit! The drink is so flavorful on its own, that I didn’t want to mask the fresh taste of lime and ginger by over doing it with sugar. So when making my Moscow Mules, I swapped sugar for SPLENDA Zero™ Liquid Sweetener to create the ginger reduction. The effect was delicious! I simply boiled the water and ginger, and then sweetened the reduction with the SPLENDA® Sweetener and added fresh mint leaves! So simple and refreshing. Just like any dish, the secret to a great cocktail is fresh ingredients – so using fresh ginger and lime juice really makes all the difference. For added effect, make sure to garnish with plenty of mint leaves and a lime wedge, and serve in copper mugs that will keep the drink cool!
Check out my video below to see how I make my Moscow Mules and let me know how yours turn out! And check-out SweetSwaps.com for more tips and tricks for swapping sugar for SPLENDA® Sweetener Products.
(makes about 7 servings)
1 cup ginger, peeled and cut into thin slices
4 cups water
2 tsp. SPLENDA ZERO™ Liquid Sweetener
15 Mint leaves
Juice from 4 limes
1 liter soda water
8 fl. oz. vodka
4 Lime wedges
1) Boil ginger in 4 cups of water for about 10 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by half.
2) Strain the ginger reduction into a bowl, and add SPLENDA® Liquid Sweetener and allow to cool.
3) Add mint leaves and lime juice to the ginger reduction and muddle.
4) In a pitcher, combine soda water and vodka. Add the ginger reduction with mint leaves and lime juice. Stir. Add ice cubes, additional mint or lime to taste.
5) Serve in copper mugs and garnish with mint leaves and a lime wedge.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving (8 fl. oz.):
- Calories: 82
- Total Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 32mg
- Total Carbs: 2g
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 0g