Super Bowl Sunday is always so fun – the guys and gals get together, food is lovingly made and eaten ferociously, and fun is had by all. I love to cook, and I’m sure you do as well – so the recipe element is always big for me on the big day. This year I was challenged by my friends at PepsiCo to participate in their #InstaGrubMatch and make a unique recipe that could go head-to-head with the best Super Bowl dishes out there!
With that in mind, I knew what to do. I’m a huge fan of spinach dip, but not a fan of all the calories. How can you make this perfect Super Bowl dish healthier but not risk losing all the flavor and richness that comes from the cheese put into a traditional recipe? The answer: hummus, of course.
So this year’s Baked Spinach and Hummus Dip recipe I created is a total twist on the original, packed full of flavor but much easier to eat all game long. Instead of cheese I add Sabra Hummus to make up for the difference plus a big yogurt for added creaminess. This dish is served best with crunchy Stacy’s Pita Chips, the salty and crunchy snack I’ve loved for years and years. Finally, my recommendation to wash it all down? An ice cold glass of Pure Leaf Iced Tea.
The best part about The Super Bowl? Tasting the food that all your friends bring to the party also! In honor of the big game, PepsiCo invited 8 student chefs from The Culinary Institute of America to come up with their own best recipes for the big game, participating in the ultimate recipe showdown. If you think you’ve got a brilliant Super Bowl recipe and want to win a weekend trip to The CIA, check out GameDayGrubMatch.com for all the rules. To win a chance to cook with the pros all you have to do is create a recipe using at least 2 PepsiCo products, share the recipe on Instagram, and tag it #InstaGrubMatch!
Good luck, chefs! My recipe for Baked Spinach and Hummus Dip with Pita Chips is below![separator type=”thin”]
Baked Spinach and Hummus Dip with Pita Chips
1. 7 oz. container of Sabra Hummus
2. 2 Cups Fresh Spinach
3. 3/4 Cup Plain Yogurt
4. 2 Garlic Cloves
5. 1 egg
6. Salt and Pepper to taste
7. Olive Oil
8. 1 Bag Stacy’s Pita Chips[/tab] [tab title=”Procedure”]
1. Place spinach and garlic in food processor and pulse 4-5 times until garlic has been diced and spinach is in small pieces.
2. Mix together yogurt and egg together in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl combine yogurt and egg mixture with hummus, spinach, garlic, salt, and pepper.
4. Place dip into a oven-safe dish (I prefer something ceramic) and drizzle with olive oil.
5. Bake at 375 F for 25 minutes.
6. Enjoy with Pita Chips![/tab] [tab title=”Notes”]Serves: 4-6
Time: 35 Minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy[/tab] [/tabgroup]