YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM
Spring is just around the corner. Can you feel it? I’m certainly seeing it at the Farmer’s Market in Union Square! The place is poppin’ full of veggies for the new season, especially all kinds of squash and zucchini. Today to celebrate the arrival of March and some warmer weather I’m showing you how to make one of my favorite quiches: Spring Vegetable with a Homemade Crust.
If you’ve never made dough yourself there’s no reason to worry. It’s actually quite simple and you’ll know by the consistency when it’s ready (not sticky, not dry and flaky). Check out my video below along with the recipe!
- 1/2 stick well-chilled Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 5 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4-8 Tbsp cold water
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced squash
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced leeks
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon
- 1 tsp Half & Half
- Combine flour and salt into a bowl and chop Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening into it using a fork or pastry cutter. Continue to mix together until the mixture is the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle up to 8 tablespoons of ice cold water into the mixture until a dough starts to form as you combine everything together with your hands. Once dough is formed flatten it into a disk, cover in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- After 30 minutes remove dough from refrigerator and unroll the dough by rolling out from the center. Place the dough on a flat surface with a bit of flour on the surface and rolling pin. Using rolling pin, place the rolled out dough over round baking dish.
- For the egg mixture take 6 eggs and whisk them together with 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 Tbsp. black pepper, 1 Tbsp. thyme leaves, a splash of Half & Half, and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (but save some for the topping).
- Layer vegetables in quiche pan or round baking dish. Use 1/2 cup thinly cut squash, 1/2 cup thinly sliced leeks, and 1/4 cup crumbled bacon. Sprinkle in some of the remaining cheese, and then pour the egg mixture on top. Move everything around a bit with a fork or spatula so it’s even. Sprinkle the last of the cheese on top and it’s ready for the oven!
- Bake at 350°F for about 40 minutes or until the egg mixture is firm and the top is getting browned.